Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hoffman Harvesting Inc.

Today we welcome Jada Bulgin of Hoffman Harvesting Inc., as she shares her family harvesting story with us. Hoffman Harvesting is another member of All Aboard Harvest

My name is Jada Bulgin and I have been on harvest for the majority of my life—approxi­mately 29 years. My husband, Leon, and I play an integral role in my family’s harvesting opera­tion—Hoffman Harvesting Inc. 

Leon & Jada Bulgin and Candice & Perry Hoffman.

Like myself, my father (Perry Hoffman) was born into the harvesting world where he learned the specifics of the industry as he grew up help­ing his father with his harvesting business. At the age of 17, he decided to branch off and start his own harvesting business. That is how Hoffman Harvesting began 40 years ago. The third generation, my daughter Kaidence, joined our family in July of 2009 and will hopefully enjoy the lifestyle as much as I did growing up.

Our crew moving fields in Texas. It's a regular convoy.

Go time as a harvester can be described as the time of year when harvesters get that urge to head south and hit the amber waves. This urge can only be described as an addic­tion that gets in your blood from experiencing harvest. In the sum­mer, we are on the move approxi­mately every two weeks but have our campers to call home. They are furnished with all the luxu­ries of a real home—including a washer and dryer. It serves as our home away from home.

In the field.

When on the harvest run you are never really prepared for go time until you get that nod that things are ready down south, and “we’re leaving tomorrow.” That’s when the real rush starts on our farm. Yes, it only happens once a year, and it’s a little different rush hour than living in the city. It lasts more than a couple of hours- more like days- and we run around like whirlwinds finishing last minute projects and getting everything ready to be driven out of the yard first thing.

Big jobs need big equipment.

While I have several jobs I need to do in preparation for harvest, the most fun is getting Kaidence’s room ready. This past summer I made her help carry her toys and pack them away. Some things on her list that didn’t make it were: her friend Cade from daycare, Bud my dad’s horse and every immediate family member we have. I told her they just wouldn’t fit and to my delight she seemed to absorb this news quite easily. The excitement of seeing friends of ours on the run helped further curb her disappointment from not getting to take “everything” she wanted to bring with.

Kaidence & I at her birthday party in July. It was a princess themed party.
 
I did try to explain that we were leaving for Texas and the harvest run and wouldn’t be back for awhile. Though, the concept of leaving home never struck her until we actually left home. Then as we were driving she asked, “Mommy, can I please take my dolly Holly with?” I answered, “Sure.” The conversation proceeded to go on the next couple days about all her beloved items as we traveled to Kiowa, Kan., to pick up our combines and continued on to Texas. Even after telling her that our house was traveling behind her and everything she packed was coming with, it just didn’t quite make sense until we got there.

The clean organized playroom/ bedroom combination didn’t stay that way for more than an hour once we were in Texas. And, that is when I could tell the adventure has just begun. While the drive here is never fun, we are always excited to be on harvest. 

The 40th anniversary Hoffman Harvesting crew. 

Join us as we embark on our 41st year and making memories by checking out www.allaboardharvest.com and www.hoffmanharvesting.com

Thanks Jada for sharing your story with us! To learn more about America's custom harvesters check out All Aboard Harvest, or learn more about Hoffman Harvesting on their website

Do you or someone you know farm, ranch, harvest or somehow work in the agricultural industry? We need YOUR story today! Please contact us to learn how you could be the next Face of Agriculture!